Questions to ask your insurance provider before the first session:
- Does my plan cover out-of-network benefits?
- Do I have a deductible? If yes, how much is it? Have I met any portion of my deductive with other medical expenses this year?
- Is there a limit on the number of “outpatient” mental health or psychotherapy sessions I am entitled to per year?
- Does my plan require a pre-authorization or a referral from a MD or Primary Care Physician?
- What amount of the psychotherapy (CPT 90834 or 90837) fee will be reimbursed?
- Is my coverage different for biological vs. non-biological conditions?
- Do you require an LCSW-R, PhD, or MD level practice license?